Laguna Seca “Roller Coaster” Throws Corvette Racing for a Loop
Saturday’s American Le Mans Series race at Laguna Seca proved to be a very frustrating outing for Corvette Racing. The twin Compuware Corvette C6.R’s managed to place 5th and 7th, after battling with traction issues throughout the entire race.
After starting the race in second place in the GT Class, the No. 4 Corvette co-piloted by Oliver Gavin and Jan Magnussen crossed the finish line in 6th at the end of the 6 hour race. However, a post-race penalty on the 3rd place No. 62 Ferrari for avoidable contact bumped the No. 4 Corvette into 5th place.
Gavin told the reporters from www.CorvetteRacing.com, “It was a very long day, and definitely not the result we were looking for. For whatever reason, today we sustained high tire wear and a drop in grip. We’ll get to the bottom of this so that we can fight for a win when we come back here next year. I definitely think it’s just a blip, since we’ve been competitive at every other event this year.”
Gavin and Magnussen’s Teammates in the No.3 Corvette, Milner and Beretta, had an even tougher time, finding themselves a full lap behind the leaders at the end of the race, placing 7th overall. Beretta explained, “We did our best, the team did a good job on the car, but it was a shame that we lost a lap. It’s all part of racing. Unfortunately today it was difficult, but we have one more race coming, and the whole team will be going for another victory.”
The Corvette Racing C6.R’s will next be in action at the Petit Le Mans at Road Atlanta, on October 1st, starting at 11:30 a.m. Eastern.
ModSpace American Le Mans Series Monterey GT Results (Top 10):
1. 45 Bergmeister/Long, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 236
2. 56 Mueller/Hand, BMW M3 GT, 236
3. 01 Sharp/van Overbeek, Ferrari F458 Italia, 236
4. 55 Auberlen/Werner, BMW M3 GT, 236
5. 4 Gavin/Magnussen, Corvette C6.R, 236
6. 62 Melo/Vilander, Ferrari F458 Italia, 236
7. 3 Beretta/Milner, Corvette C6.R, 235
8. 02 Brown/Cosmo, Ferrari F458 Italia, 231
9. 44 Neiman/Holzer, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 230
10. 48 Miller/Maasen, Porsche 911 GT3 RSR, 224