More than 300 Corvettes crossed the block at Mecum Auction’s Bloomington Gold event, with the Top seller being a 1956 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible that went for $150,000. Of the 3,467 Corvettes produced in 1956, 290 were painted Cascade Green, and only 111 (3%) were built with the high-lift cam 240-HP V8 engine, making it one of the rarest produced that year.
Photos: Mecum Auctions
The two-day Bloomington Gold Corvette Auction was dominated at the high end by classic Corvettes, as the Top Ten list shows, but there were plenty of opportunities for almost anyone to go home with a new ride. A 1986 glass roof Corvette with 55,000 miles went home with a new owner, whose wallet was lightened by only $5500, while a presentable 1986 Corvette with all power options and manual transmission, went for $3,750.
The Top Ten ‘Vettes to sell were:
- $150,000 – 1956 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible
- $117,000 – 1960 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 283/290 HP
- $110,000 – 1959 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 283/270 HP
- $106,000 – 1958 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 283/250 HP
- $ 98,000 – 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 427/425 HP
- $ 95,000 – 1956 Chevrolet Corvette 283 CI
- $ 92,500 – 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 427/400 HP
- $ 92,500 – 1957 Chevrolet Corvette 270 HP
- $ 91,000 – 1964 Chevrolet Corvette LS2 Resto Mod
- $ 82,500 – 1961 Chevrolet Corvette 283/270 HP
Almost as interesting, because reserve bids are allowed, here are some of the cars that didn’t sell.
A 1965 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible, notable for being a fuel injected model (1 of 771 built), did not sell for the high bid of $60K. Meanwhile, an NCRS Top Flight certified 1955 Chevrolet Corvette Roadster 265/195 HP, 3-Speed, remains looking for a buyer with better than $170K to part with.
In the more modern vein a 1993 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1 40th Anniversary, 650 HP and just 12,200 miles on the clock, sat idle despite a top bid of $30K. A 1 of 1,006 1995 Corvette painted in Admiral Blue, with 19,000 miles on its LT1 engine, stayed parked when the bidding topped out at $14,500.
The Bloomington Gold Corvette Auction is a yearly event, held in St. Charles, IL, by Mecum Auctions.