PRI 2011: Corvette Racing’s #4 C6.R Displayed In Penske Shocks Booth
While walking the 2011 PRI show we stumbled across the Penske Racing Shocks booth and found Corvette Racing’s #4 Compuware Corvette. If you are unfamiliar with Corvette racing, they compete in the around the country in the American LeMans Series, and are a threat to win the GT class at every event. They are also multiple time winners of the 24 Hours of LeMans.
Corvette Racing fields two vettes, this particular ride is driven by Oliver Gavin, and Jan Magnussen. For the longer events they will add Richard Westbrook for driving duties also.
Corvette Racing’s Final Race of The Year:
The #4 Corvette finished 2nd in the final point standings this year and amazingly only finished outside the top 5 in one event the entire year. Their amazing run of consistency concluded with one victory and nine top fives in the season’s ten races.
Corvette Racing has been competing since 1999, and in that time has racked up some impressive stats:
- Race wins: 78 (through 2009)
- 1-2 finishes: 54 (through June 2009)
- ALMS GT1 manufacturers championships: Eight (2001-08)
- ALMS GT1 team championships: Eight (2001-08)
- ALMS GT1 drivers championships: Seven (2002-08)
- 24 Hours of Le Mans class wins: Six (2001-02, 2004-06, 2009)
- Sebring 12-hour class wins: Seven (2002-04, 2006-09)
- Petit Le Mans class wins: Seven (2000-02, 2004-05, 2007-08)
- American Le Mans Series records: Most race wins by entrant (71); most 1-2 finishes by entrant (53); longest winning streak in GT1 (25, 2007 Sebring/2009 Long Beach); most poles in GT1
- ALMS From the Fans awards: Gary Claudio, Corvette marketing manager, 2002; Doug Fehan, Corvette Racing program manager, 2004 and 2008-09
- ALMS Most Popular Driver awards: Ron Fellows, 2004-07
- Special awards: Overall winner in inaugural ALMS Green Challenge at 2008 Petit Le Mans; Corvette C6.R named “North American Car of the Year” by dailysportscar.com (February 2006); Corvette LS7.R engine named “Global Motorsport Engine of the Year” at the Professional Motorsport World Expo (November 2006); Corvette Racing awarded Michelin Energy Endurance Challenge trophy for most efficient use of fuel in GT1 class at 24 Hours of Le Mans (June 2007)
You can see the #4 Corvette in 2012 racing within the American LeMans series and competing at the grand-daddy of them all the 24 hours of LeMans. In fact Corvette Racing has won the event in 2 of the last 3 years.
Make sure you visit Corvette Racing’s home on the web to see their complete schedule and find more interesting facts about this ride.